just a little fish trying to survive in this great big ocean...

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Blown Away...Not in a good way

So it has been quite a while since the last time I had a chance to paddle out. Then again I guess you have to look at the perspective, because prior to our moving to Newport Beach I didn't get to surf nearly as much as I would have liked. Now, I live a half mile from the surf and if I don't get to surf at least every couple of days I feel like it has been too long. Anyway...back to the real point of writing this post. I did finally get a chance to paddle out as for this first time in quite a while I didn't have to schedule my surfing around work, school, or tsunami warnings.

Unfortunately, on my first outting back from the shenanigans I had to deal with I wasn't given much. I woke up and realized there was nothing I had to do today. With joy in my heart, I hopped out of bed and ran to a computer to check on the wave report. I was given hope that the report said the waves were supposed to be about waist height, but once I got to the beach I found only this:

DSCF1175

Nevertheless, I was not to be deterred easily today. I paddled out and found that there was a little more size to the set waves than I had originally thought. I had a couple fun little waves, but then had trouble staying in the right spot to catch any more because the current was deceptively strong. It was super choppy the whole outting, but the waves had enough size that they were fairly clear to be waves rather than just wind chop. At the end of the day, it was nice just to be back out in the water again.

I hear it is supposed to rain this week, which is not what I want to hear when it comes to getting a couple surf sessions in, but I will do what I have to do (you know?).


I guess this is my opportunity to add a little something about the idea I had to run a little contest for a few of our friends. So yesterday Greg and I were hanging out talking a little about getting him in the water and it came to mind how much fun it would be to have a little contest like we had done at Salty Groms Surf Camp, but with a little twist. So the contest isn't so much about who gets the best waves, but who is having the most fun. So let's take a first run at a design for the contest.
1. Surfers will go out for 30 minute heats.
2. Surfers will be judged on their single (1) best wave in their heat.
3. Any wave a surfer catches in their heat can count toward their score (this
includes white wash waves).
4. Surfers may receive any form of assist to catch waves during their heat
5. Surfers must use a soft-top or "foamie" surfboard to compete
6. In order to compete surfers must be wearing some form of costume.
7. Surfers will be judged on:
a) Creativity
b) Inventiveness
c) Relation to costume
8. Surfers will be judged on a ten (10) point scale (no decimal points will be
given).
9. Surfers that are to be in the water for the next heat will be judges for other heats. For the final heat, all other surfers that participated in the contest will be judges.

That's it for now. Feel free to post any other ideas that could be added to the contest.


Until next time...praying for surf.

No comments: