just a little fish trying to survive in this great big ocean...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lunch Sessions: Part 2



It's funny how summers in the OC work with the changing swell. One week you can have some awesome waves with decent size and the next week everything goes flat...and I mean FLAT. I've seen lakes that have more going on then I have seen at times during this week. Nonetheless, I don't have too many opportunities to surf these days, so I have to make the most of every chance I do get to go for a paddleout.

As we got out of the water from the morning session today a couple of us realized that there just might be enough swell to make the 8' foamies fun for a lunch time session. I grabbed a board and headed on out to the line up. Of course, by the time we got a chance to head out there, no one else was out. The five of us from the camp had every wave to ourselves. A couple waves in I gave the handstand a chance, finding it to be not as well done as I ever have, but I did pull it off. A few waves later I started making my way to the front of the board. Now, I have never had much luck with trying to hang ten on a foamie, but at least for five piggies over today. At least its a start. It wasn't the most exciting session I have ever paddled out for, but when you only get so many chances to surf, you have to appreciate a goof off session with your friends.

There is no wave better than a party wave.

Today did not just yield a fun little lunch time session, but also gave me a new board from which to find enjoyment out of the waves.



I had made the decision a while back that I did not ride my 6'2 single fin nearly enough to have it be part of the quiver. So in my love for fish boards I had offered it up as a trade, but had no takers. So a few months go by and once again I put the single fin up as a trade, but this time had a bit more interest. A couple people offered fish boards, but they were just too big. I have been looking for something in the 5'6-5'3 range for a board. So yesterday I get this email asking if I wanted to trade for this other single fin. I obliged the inquiry and asked to see some pictures. What I saw was pleasantly surprising, but based upon the pictures I had assumed it was much larger of a board. Nevertheless I was toying with the idea of the trade when I found out the dims on the board were 5'6 x 20" 1/2 x 2" 1/2. From that point on I was stoked to get this deal on. After a few emails and a few text messages I made plans to meet up for a trade at THE Jack in the Box (Yeah you know which one I'm talking about...anyone in the Newport/HB area knows).
So the board is home and sitting next to me. I can't wait to get this thing in the water. It's more exciting than I had ever hoped from a Craigslist trade

Here is hoping for many waves and sunshine to come for my new little girl.


Until next time...praying for surf.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Nice work Pete! Craigslist is the way to go :)